Urbania is a very well preserved small medieval town dating back to the VI century. It was originally named Castel delle Ripe. It was destroyed in 1277 by the Ghibellines. The survivors sought refuge next to the Benedictine Abbey of San Cristoforo del Ponte (8th century) where is today the Co-cathedral. The new town was built in 1284.
The Pope Martino IV commissioned such prestigious project to the Provençal prelate Guglielmo Durand who was also the Governor of Romagna and the Urbino’s District. As a homage the Durand the town was renamed Casteldurante, until Pope Urbano VIII, decided to change its name into Urbania. Throughout history, Urbania was in the hands of the Montefeltro family since 1427. It then passed under the possession of Della Rovere family until 1631.
From an artistic point of view, Urbania has many churches of different eras. Its most precious building is for sure the Ducal Palace famous for its two fortified towers. Urbania is, therefore, a town with a strong historical background, so much that apparently the poet Torquato Tasso was inspired by Urbania’s bucolic territory and decide to set his drama, the Aminta, in Urbania.
In the Aminta one of the characters’ name is Lucrezia and it might be a homage to Lucrezia d’Este, wife of Francesco Maria II della Rovere. Along with Sant’Angelo in Vado and Acqualagna, Urbania is the home of the white truffle.